Bangladesh Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine & Research University of Science & Technology Chittagong
Bangladesh Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine & Research (BIUMR) is a Constituent Institute of University of Science & Technology Chittagong (USTC) with a separate Board of Governors and situated in Dhaka.
- To establish and maintain academic and educational activities in Medical Ultrasonography.
- To conduct the training, course and other educational activities designed to enhance the knowledge and the research in Medicine.
- To encourage the research in Medical Ultrasonograhy.
- To establish, maintain and administer Certificate Courses, Postgraduate Diplomas, Master’s Doctoral, etc.
Course & Curriculum
The course of study of ‘Diploma in Medical Ultrasound Diagnosis’ extends over twelve calendar months. During this time candidates are required to attend (a) a lecture series as per Part-1 on Basic Principles & Part-II on Clinical Ultrasonography of Course Curriculum of DMUD course, (b) in the Training Centre3s of the Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine & Research or in any other centres recognized for the purpose by the Institute. Course & Curriculum of the DMUD is printed in a separate booklet.
Pre-requisites for Entering the Course of DMUD
- The candidates have obtained the degree of MBBS from Bangladesh or its equivalent and recognized by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC).
- Register with BMDC.
- At least two years of Ultrasound experience during which at least 500 Ultrasound examinations were performed and interpreted and interpreted annually.
- Have paid course fee (amount fixed by the Institute).
- Have submitted duly filled up application form.
- The Institute has the power to exclude any candidate from admitting into DMUD course if it considers that such candidate is not a fit person to be admitted thereto.
Training in Ultrasonography to Get Admission
Before admission to DMUD course each candidate shall provide evidence of training and of a minimum of two years experience in the practive of diagnostiv Ultrasound acceptable to the Institute. The term ‘training is interpreted fairly freely by the Institute as it has to consider the wide variation between candidates and the facilities available. Documentation of clinical experience in public hospital or in private practice or residency training could be acceptable provided the following could be demonstrated :
- At least two years of Ultrasound experience during which at least 500 Ultrasound examinations were performed and interpreted annually.
- Generation of him, videotape or other hard copy records for studies performed. Generation of a written report for studies performed.
- When feasible, quality improvement projects should be undertaken and documented in an effort to continuously improve patient care.
- Following initial qualifications, the physician should maintain competence by regular interpretation and performance of diagnostic Ultrasound examinations. A minimum of 300 examinations per year is recommended.
Criteria for Appearing at the Examination
Candidates will be admitted to DMUD examination who :
- Have obtained the degree of MBBS of Bangladesh or any equivalent degree and registered by Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council (BMDC).
- Have registered with BMDC,
- Have at least two years of Ultrasound experience during which at least 500 Ultrasound examinations were performed and interpreted annually.
- Have enrolled on the course of DMUD in BIUMR and have attended 75% of the lectures, demonstrations, and practical classes as prescribed for DMUD course.
- Have good moral character.
- Have submitted three copies of dissertation.
- Have paid examination fees (amount fixed by the University and BIUMR).