Giving importance to pharmacy profession and its role in the improvement of health care systems, USTC authority established the Department of Pharmacy in 1993 under the Faculty of Basic Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. It is the first Private University in Bangladesh where a Pharmacy course of USTC has been accredited by Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh. In addition to arranging for the foundation of a liberal education as well as an extensive background in the sciences, Department of Pharmacy, USTC actively engages in providing a proper professional education. This has turned out to be a formidable job since the possibility exists that the Pharmacy graduated may enter any one of a number of different areas of professional activities.
Bachelor of Pharmacy course is a five-year programme. The academic plan is based on UGC and Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh approved course and curriculum. All courses are supplemented by lectures, tutorials, demonstrations and practical laboratory assignments. Sufficient lecture halls and laboratory facilities are available for the Department.
Laboratory facilities for different courses exist as per requirement of Bangladesh Pharmacy Council, which include different individual laboratories for individual courses with modern equipment. Laboratory Chromatography (HPLC), UV-Vis Sepctroscopy, Dissolution Appasratus, Tablet and Capsule compression machines and Tablet coating machine etc. In addition to these laboratory facilities USTC has been fortified with the co-operation of well-established Pharmaceutical Laboratories in Chittagong, which offer facilities, both manpower and technical, for the training of our Pharmacy students. The participating laboratories include-
- Glaxo-Smithkline (Bangladesh) Ltd.
- Square Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Beximco Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Reneta Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Incepta Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Therapeutics (Bangladesh) Ltd.
- Popular Pharmaceutical Ltd.
- The Acme Laboratories Limited.
- Novertis Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- ACI Limited.
- Alco Pharma
- Aristopharma Limited
- Biopharma Limited
- Eskayef Bangladesh Limited
- Navana Pharmacuticals Limited
- Novelta Bestway Pharmacuticals Limited
- Bioavailability & Bioequivalence study
- Pharmacological investigation of bioactive natural products.
- Phytochemical investigation of plant extract & constituent.
- Drug delivery system such as Trans-dermal drug delivery, floating drug delivery, formulation of pellets & nanoparticles.
- Pre-formulation & formulation development study.
- Biopharmaceutical and Clinical studies of drugs
- Survey on hospital Pharmacy practice
With the aim of cutting edge research, Department of Pharmacy, USTC has established joint collaboration with local and international Universities, Institutes and Organizations.
- Bangladesh Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (BCIR)
- Chittagong Veterinary Animal Science University (CVASU)]
- Square Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- College of Pharmacy, Qatar University (In process)
- School of Pharmacy, Medipol University, Turkey
- Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Japan
- International Center for Chemical & Biological Science, University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan
- 1st International symposium on ``First International Symposium on Pharmaceutical Science : A Global Approach.”
- MoU with Bangladesh Council for Scienctific and Industrial Research
- Pioneer Pharmacy Department in Chittagong has started collaboration in home & abroad
- Introduction to Hospital Pharmacy Program with Bangabandhu Memorial Hospital (BBMH) & other renowned hospitals in Bangladesh.
Students having minimum GPA 3.5 in SSC & HSC individually in Science or equivalent with Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics or Statistics may apply for admission into the B Pharm (Hons) course. Selection is on the basis of merit. The selection process comprises a written and viva vice examination. The written test is based on HSC level English, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and General knowledge. Foreign students are to submit application directly to the Office of the Founder Vice Chancellor, USTC through mail/email/fax. Admission Forms and relevant papers are available from Bangladesh Missions abroad. Local applicants may obtain forms from authorized Banks in Dhaka & Chittagong.